Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

Stone Fox

With the big group of 6th graders.
One of my good friends works at an elementary school helping teach kids to read and they are currently reading the book "Stone Fox". It is about a young boy racing in a dog sled race to save his grandfather's farm. She asked me if Simon and I could come in and talk to the kids about sled dogs and dog sledding and Siberian huskies. I of course said yes Simon is great with kids but it's always nice to have positive experiences with kids to remind him how wonderful they are.



After I told her we would be happy to come she asked the teachers if any of there classes that were also reading the book if they would like to have Simon come too. We ended up speaking with about 40 6th graders and a small group of five 5th graders.

Showing his dog sledding harness. 

It went very well I talked about the history of the breed and the history of dog sledding while Simon sat in a chair. Then we got to the part the kids liked best asking questions and meeting Simon. We took that as a chance to go over how to polity ask someone if you could pet there dog and how to be respectful to dogs in general. Simon did a great job he was pretty good and staying in his chair and letting me talk and he loved having kids line up to pet him.


No comments:

Post a Comment