Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentines Day guest post.



           Happy Valentines Day from Playing with the Big Dogs!


          
               I spent the 14th and the 15th at a dog sled race in Ashton enjoying Idaho in the winter. We also used it as a way to get Simon out in a new situation meeting new people.  To celebrate the holiday I have a guest post written by the boyfriend as a class assignment. I really enjoyed it and I hope you  do too.




Sadie,
            You are the most incredible surprise in my life.  When you were first born I wasn’t in a place to take a dog.  Because I could not take you in, my brother found you a home with an owner who loved you.  Unfortunately, he had life catch up with him in a terrible way and you were returned to my brother.  He called me that afternoon and told me, not asked, to take you in.  After Lawst died, I had worried I would never love another dog again.  I worried that any other animal I brought into my life would be a pale shadow.
            I could not have imagined how wrong I was.
            I remember vividly the first day I brought you home.  You were so sweet when you came off the plane.  With your beautiful blue eyes and that loving temperament, even the airline workers had fallen in love with you.  I knew then, seeing you there, that you were something special.  The car ride was not the most favorable of conditions for us to really meet.  You had to be safe in the back, and had just been on what I am sure was the worst trip of your life.  The four hour drive home felt like an eternity.
            I knew you were ready to be home as soon as you came through the front door for the first time.  You happily explored the house, took stock of the toys and treats I had purchased for you, and became acquainted with your new yard.  To me, the most special moment of all was when you finally let the exhaustion catch up with you and curled up in my lap on the floor and fell asleep, your head resting across my leg.  It was at that moment that every previous fear I had passed and every worry and concern that I would always consider you second in my heart melted away.  That is the exact moment that you became my dog, and I became your boy.
            I love when you decide to cuddle up with me.  It always fills me with joy when you curl up against me in your own special way.  Too often you smother me, laying your entire head against my neck.  Regardless of how intrusive you decide to be, it is always touching to me that you want to be close.  These moments provide a constant reminder of how important I am to you.
            Because of you I have experienced the same joys and fears that any parent has for their child.  Even now, as I look at you lazily trying to take a nap, I cannot help but smile.  You mean the world to me.  You are beyond special, and my love for you is deeper than I ever thought I could feel again.  Thank you for everything, my wonderful little girl.
All the love I have and more,
Nik
 


No comments:

Post a Comment