Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

Off to the races! Dog sled races.


Dog sled racing a fantastic winter dog sport.  

The fantastic view at the Soda Springs dog race.


Sleepy puppy after his run.



     I have really enjoyed getting to experience so much of dog sledding this winter.  We have gone to two races this year and get to attend a third this weekend. It has been a blast. I also have gotten to help with a dog sled team as they prepare to run in races. A few times during practice I have gotten to drive the team and it is such a rush. The dogs love to run and are so excited they just get you all excited along with them.


Husky peaking out the a dog box.
Izzy rocking the sled dog look


     This has been a great experience to get to learn from the mushers. I hope that next winter Sadie, Simon and I can try our hand at learning to skijor. Skijoring is similar to dog sledding only you are on cross country skis with the dogs connected to you via a lap belt. The benefit is you can do it with fewer dogs and less equipment. I am really looking forward to trying it out. Simon comes from a line of sled dogs his grandfather has championed at weight pull and his father was on a dog sled team so I hope he will enjoy it. I honestly don't know what Sadie will enjoy it we are going to need to to get her  coat that she can use while in a harness and some booties to protect her feet.

A fantastic dog box at the Ashton race.
Simon at the Ashton race on the dog truck like a sled dog.

     On the plus side you can skijor with one dog so if Sadie decides winter sports are not for her then Simon and I can still hit the trails. I really hope they enjoy skijoring it would be a great way to spend time with my dogs in the winter.

The dog team I help with.

No comments:

Post a Comment