Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Simon's First Agility Trial


Who says Siberians can't be performance dogs?

Basically everyone who has ever met or owned a Siberian or done any performance work with a dog.

Did we prove them wrong at our first agility trial?... Sort of.

First of all I want to say I still consider both of us novices, novice dog, novice handler, novice team. That being said I feel like the weekend was a success. Granted no legs were earned towards an agility trial but we both learned, got some positive ring experience and had a wonderful time with friends.

We drove into town (4/13) Friday afternoon and we got to spend time with Nik, Sadie and Skipper. Simon and Skipper still don't particularly like eachother but that is mostly shown is minor posturing and urination competitions. Skipper is still looking for a home and also still working on learning how to be a good pet.

Anyway we got in relaxed with family and rested for Saturday.

Saturday we went to the trial.

Simon and I haven't been to a trial since we went to the one back in 2016. Its been about two years and I was a little concerned that my noisy dramatic princess might be a little difficult. Over all he totally surprised me and was way better at the trial than I would have thought was possible. Minimal whining in the crate, only minor reactions to other dogs around us and realized I didn't want him to pee in the barn so he was good about that too. And I also kept and eye on him if we were in a tempting area.

I was able to step up next to a friend who has a lot of experience with agility so I got wonderful tips and conversation from her.

It was a great place for our first agility trial I had a bunch of friends and people I knew there so I could be supportive of them and they in turn were supportive of me. Also the trainer I have been working with was there too so she was able to see us work together and get a good idea of the many things we could improve on.

I will write more later.




No comments:

Post a Comment